4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Question about selling used SCT SF3/X3 Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:14 PM
dkillgore
1st Gear Member

Default Question about selling used SCT SF3/X3 Tuner

I'm thinking about selling my SCT SF3/X3 Tuner and have a few questions:

I still do not completely understand the whole "marrying" the tuner to a car thing. I have used it only on my 03 GT. It has never been plugged into any other cars. If I were to sell it to someone, what would they have to do to be able to use it on their mustang?

Secondly, I bought mine from American Muscle and got the BAMA free tunes for life deal. If anyone has an idea (I haven't contacted American Muscle or BAMA customer support yet, but I will if no one can answer this) if I sell the tuner to someone, will they be able to take advantage of that program also, or will they need to purchase tunes on their own to manually load onto the tuner?

That's all for now. If I think of any other questions I won't hesitate to ask. I'm still not entirely sure if I want to sell this (it really does make quite a difference in the way the car runs) but I have a buddy who is interested in it, so I want to figure out what my options are.

Thanks

And if I posted this in the wrong section, I apologize.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:11 AM
dkillgore
1st Gear Member

Going to give this one more shot. Anyone have any experience selling one of these tuners used?

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Yep, I've had lots of experience as I buy/sell these locally.

1) The way a tuner works is once you have uploaded a custom tune from the tuner to your car, it is then VIN locked to that car and cannot be reused to tune another UNTIL you use the tuner to upload the stock tune back to the car, thus freeing the tuner up for another vehicle. 1 tuner = 1 tune uploaded max. If you upload a tune from the X3 to your car, then get rid of the car/trade it in/wreck it before you can upload the stock tune ( which the X3 will auto save in the device once you upload a custom tune ) then the SCT is still vin locked to the car and only way around that is to send it to SCT and pay a $150 fee to have them unlock it.

If you dont know if yours is locked or not, plug it into either OBII port or USB cable to computer, power it on, go to Device Info and scroll down. Bottom should say Locked/Married or Unlocked/Unmarried. Both terms mean the same thing.

Does that help I trust?
2) Bama tunes for life do NOT transfer with the tuner, they are specific to the individual who bought them and also the car.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:31 PM
dkillgore
1st Gear Member

Thank you for your reply. I just plugged it in and I still have 5 unlocks left and the device is unmarried as I returned my vehicle to the stock tune a few days ago.

I appreciate the help.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Then the tuner is ready to go for another car! Whomever you sell it to, remind them to get their own custom tune though. Somebody uploading your tune to their car = bad bad karma. lol
Old 06-07-2011, 12:49 AM
dirtychamba
2nd Gear Member

Hey sorry to jump in but someone offered to sell me their jlt/ tuner for 120, they dont need it cuz the car was leased and being returned. I will make sure it is unlocked before buying but if all goes well what else will i need to do to put it on my 05 gt? I
Old 06-07-2011, 03:03 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dirtychamba
Hey sorry to jump in but someone offered to sell me their jlt/ tuner for 120, they dont need it cuz the car was leased and being returned. I will make sure it is unlocked before buying but if all goes well what else will i need to do to put it on my 05 gt? I

A jlt and tuner for $120 is one helluva deal! What you will want to do then once you have the cai and intake, is get a solid email tune from place like AM, Brenspeed, or BBR racing. A n/a tune usually is about $60 to $75 and they will ask you what all mods you have done to your car, year and model, which type of tune you want as in octane, what the ECU code is off your engine ( 4 digit code, on a white sticker on left side of your engine, by the fuse box ) and then create a custom email tune for your specific car and mods.

Once you have that tune, download it to your computer, then upload the tune from the computer to the X3 tuner, then upload it to your car. Its pretty quick and painless once you've done it a few times. Most any place you get a tune from will walk you thru it.

Trust that helps!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:38 AM
dirtychamba
2nd Gear Member

Thank u very much. I plan on buyingit tomorrow. Will installing the intake before tuning my car hurt my car?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Hurt it? Prob not. But I would wait to install it until you get your tune. Couple days wait can't hurt.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:09 AM
dirtychamba
2nd Gear Member

Ok awesome thanx. Will the intake plus tuner sound better (louder,muscle sound) with flowmaster 40s or pypes axleback ?

Quick Reply: Question about selling used SCT SF3/X3 Tuner